Retailers already know how busy the holiday season can become, but with that comes challenges. The holidays can be expensive for Americans, which is a challenge for anyone but especially for SNAP recipients.
Where Do SNAP Customers Shop?
SNAP customers shop can use their EBT cards to purchase healthy food items from convenience stores, grocery stores, quick service restaurants (in states that operate an RMP), bodegas, and other specialty retailers. What you may not know is SNAP customers can bring in a new revenue stream to your business.
Learn a few facts about SNAP customers...
- SNAP customers are more likely to be loyal to a retailer, as they give a greater share of their grocery budget to one retailer on an average month.
- SNAP customers value savings and deals over quality.
- SNAP customers are a diverse group of consumers. A recent Supermarket News report found “45% have children (compared to 28% of non-SNAP households), 29% have 5+ members in their household, and 37% are Gen Z or Millennial. Compared to non-SNAP households, SNAP households are twice as likely to be Black/African-American or Hispanic/Latino.
- SNAP households are more impacted by economic uncertainty than other households since they are on a limited budget. This makes finding the best value extremely important to them.
- SNAP customers spend more per unit.
- SNAP customers spend more per shopping trip.
- SNAP customers provide a new revenue opportunity for your business, see revenue opportunities in your state with this interactive map.
SNAP recipients rely on their local stores for essential healthy food items. Bringing these customers into your convenience store, grocery store, bodega, or QSR allows you to meet their needs and brings in a new profit stream for your business. To become an EBT retailer, you have to meet the FNS stocking requirements then you can apply to become a SNAP retailer. Take our free SNAP retailer quiz to see if you qualify to become a SNAP retailer. You can also check out these free EBT resources from goEBT.
Once you become a SNAP retailer, you will need to get started with an EBT processor so you can accept EBT payments. goEBT offers unlimited EBT processing with state-of-the-art equipment and live representatives. To learn more about goEBT’s unlimited EBT processing, fill out this form.