Retailers, especially grocers and c-stores, can experience a major rush during this holiday weekend as people prepare for cookouts and road trips.
Generational Differences That Impact Shopping Behavior
Shopper demographics are shifting, and store owners need to learn about the generations that are going to influence their business. Convenience Store News’ 2023 consumer study revealed that Millennials and Gen Z are “increasingly shaping the convenience store proposition.” A few key generational insights include…
- Gen Z and Millennials are visiting c-stores more frequently (source: Convenience Store News)
- 86% of customers typically visit the same store location every time (source: Convenience Store News)
- Gen Z and Millennials are more likely to be influenced by social media promotions/messaging
- Millennials value the shopping experience more than other generations (source: Convenience Store News)
- Gen Z values loyalty programs whereas Millennials care more about the quality of prepared foods that are offered (source: Convenience Store News)
- Baby Boomers and Generation X are more likely to notice price increases (source: Convenience Store News)
- Gen Z and Millennials are more likely to prefer self-checkout, but the majority of consumers still value regular checkout (source: Convenience Store News)
- Price and quality highly influence all generations (source: HubSpot)
Millennials make up 21.75% of the United States, followed by Boomers (21.16%), Gen Z (20.67%), and Generation X (19.83%), according to Statista. With Millennials and Gen Z making up the majority of your shoppers, consider leveraging social media with them, as they can become excellent brand ambassadors and are more easily influenced by social media messaging. Social media is also a low-cost way to advertise your store and attract potential customers.
It extremely important for store owners to pay attention to generational preferences in their customer base and cater to them in their store. With 86% of people shopping at the same location each time, bringing in new customers can boost loyalty and generate repeat sales for your store.
Learn more about types of shoppers + how to cater to your customer